Monday, February 01, 2010

Bokeh Tamron 17-50mm 2.8

Blue Bokeh Tree
Blue Bokeh Tree
Originally uploaded by IronGambit
right now people in the photography world are obsessed with "Bokeh" as well as I am.
Most photographers are using "prime" lens with a wide aperture to create effects and backgrounds such as this.
I opted to go with an off brand in this case and I am using a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8

the 17-50 just gives me more options and has a SUPER wide range, this works for me personally because it allows for me to stand closer to a model/subject and am able to capture everything that I want in the photo without loss of details.

The lens is also great for macro photography, and of course landscape, architecture, and night photography if you do not carry around a mountable flash such as an SB-600 or higher. Sometimes shots without flashes have a really nice effect, and if you are outside, it's hard to find places to bounce the light off of to begin with.

I do not know for sure, but can only imagine that the flash would wash out the background/Bokeh which is something that we are trying to capture.

As I play around with more night photography PLUS this lens, I'll let you know how it works out.

NOTE: I have the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 lens without the built in motor, so it will not autofocus on the Nikon D40/D40x/D60/D3000 or D5000, since these are smaller body cameras and are built more for portability and work decently well with the stock lens the Nikon 18-55 Vibration Reduction lens.

So I have to manually focus the lens, which I actually don't mind too much and kind of like a lot. This gives me a LOT more control of my Depth of Field (DOF) and get effects that I want vs an auto focus. We will say that I am NOT chasing after a bunch of soccer players on a field, but more with models and inanimate objects and I will be able to get the best shot with a really good lens from it.
Also, because I am focusing it manually, the shutter speed, is VERY fast and very quick, this is also another plus another reason I believe that I like it so much!

Tamron has come out with a new lens that has (VC) Vibration Control, but you really don't need it with wide range lenses so much as you really do for zoom lens.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep it up. We love your sight.

Anonymous said...

manual focusing and you love it? come on.. you be kidding.