Thursday, August 16, 2007

"Deadwood"

After we left Mount Rushmore, we took another small detour to see Wild Bill & Calamity Jane.


The town was pretty old, but it wasn't with cowboys and horses!
The town overall was small, obviously motivated by the large tourist attractions now.  But what really made me snicker, was at the top of the hill, is where they had the biggest grave yard and the nicest grave yard.  It's like it was the old west or something?

From the hit HBO series "Deadwood" Wild Bill gets killed right away.  So I was told I never personally got the see the series, since it's hard to keep up with while traveling.  What I was told was that the producers use all REAL names that are all there in the grave yard!  I thought that this was an interesting fact, and that they stayed true to the history.


One of the largest buildings there was this bike shop!  Nice town even more huh?  It was mostly rental bikes for all the tourist.  There looks like there would have been some NICE trails out there!

Above:  Calamity Janes Grave Site
Below:  Wild Bills Grave Site


It makes me laugh that this used to be a vicious town, and now it's quite the opposite!

Blogged with Flock

4 comments:

teacherwoman said...

I've never been to Deadwood...but I heard it is nice there...

teacherwoman said...

P.S... Where to next?? Through MT at all? Now that is gorgeous!

IronGambit said...

Virgina Beach is next. And yes Deadwood is nice!

Marco said...

Wild Bills in Phoenix :)